|Rod arms and Effector installed|
|Traxxas 5347 assembly tool and end cap cross section|
|Threading the endcaps with a M4x0.7 tap|
|Completed end cap assembly|
After tapping, the actual assembly is fairly quick if you use a power drill to provide the rotational power, I've got it clamped in an old bench vise to make it easier to keep things aligned, but you can easily assemble things freehand with just a hand screwdriver. For the shafts, I used the same technique that I used for cutting the Mostly Printed CNC's tubing to length to cut 6 327mm sections and printed a jig for final assembly.
|Steel shafts cut to length on jig for length checking|
Once the jig was printed and screwed down to an old 2x8, flattest surface I had on hand, it was simply a matter of mixing some 5-minute epoxy, applying some to the ends and pushing on the end cap assemblies, then placing it in the jig and letting things slide until it fits perfectly.
|Fully assembled rod arms jigged and drying|
After everything was assembled and settled, I left the arms overnight to dry, and printed a customized version of this delta effector generator to use for the outer part of the effector platform. Measuring and averaging the final lengths of all 6 arms gives a center-to-center length of 396.34mm, one of the numbers needed for calibrating the Proteus when it's finished. Finally installing the arms on the rest of the frame was straight forward, just needed 12 m3x20mm screws.
|Rod arms half installed|
Now all that's left is to redo the printbed support and install the electronics, but that's a topic for next time.